Dienstag, 13. November 2012

openSUSE on CuBox (Day 3)

My CuBox uses very very little power, which makes it ideal for my use as a NAS server. So it sits here on my desk 24/7 and is "always on". That's why I started today pretty much where I left off yesterday - with openSUSE 12.2 running on the CuBox, but pretty much unconfigured.

YaST works quite well on the CuBox. It didn't have all the modules installed that I typically need, but all modules are available for installation and are only a quick zypper install yast2-<module> away. Here's a video I recorded for example's sake - I use the YaST samba client module to change the group membership.


Other than that, I didn't get around to doing much with the CuBox today. I still haven't found any serious bugs that stop me from using openSUSE 12.2 as a production NAS. My samba setup is back up and running and the CuBox is successfully exporting the contents of my NTFS formatted external USB drive (note, you'll need the ntfs-3g package in order to do this - luckily this is also just a zypper in away).

I'm now looking into (re)building the openSUSE image for CuBox using kiwi and the Build Service. I'd like to make the boot process work out of the box, so the workarounds described yesterday aren't needed anymore. On the other hand, if this image is as stable as the debian image I had deployed since last year, I may not need to boot again...

Keine Kommentare: