Mittwoch, 28. November 2012

openSUSE on CuBox (Day 6)

It's been a couple of days since my last update but that's not because I was doing nothing. In fact, I've been investing more work than normal in openSUSE on CuBox these last couple of days. At the end of my last update, I had an image which basically worked and booted without manual intervention. I achieved this by modifying the uboot-image-setup script included in the JeOS-cubox package in the openSUSE:12.2:ARM:Contrib:Cubox project.

It turns out that, whereas my modifications lead to a system that boots each time (without manual intervention through uboot), the same modifications are problematic. This is because they depart from the generic structure that all other openSUSE on ARM devices use to boot. This means that we essentially create a kind of proprietary branch and would have to maintain this all by ourselves - without benefiting from all the hard work going on in the rest of the ARM port (well, not automatically benefiting, that is).

Another issue that my modifications created was the situation where the network interface on the CuBox would not be brought up automatically at each boot. What was happening is that the interface eth0 would not be found on reboot because the MAC address changed. The change happened because of the resetenv that I had inserted in the uboot-image-setup file. Because of this, it was necessary to log in to the CuBox over the serial interface in order to configure the "new" interface through (e.g.) YaST. This meant that each time the network interface id would increment by one - e.g. eth0, eth1, eth2. This was also not ideal.

Thus, what was suggested was that I revoke my submit request and try to continue editing the uboot-image-setup script (as well as the corresponding .kiwi file) to try to figure out exactly what change is needed to get the CuBox to boot. Thus far I think I've narrowed it down to the bootargs line. This line gets added to boot/boot.script in the image by the .kiwi file (in the same uppermost directory as the uboot-image-setup file). In the .kiwi file, the bootargs line appears to have ttyS0,115200n8 whereas the bootargs line I was using in uboot-image-setup had ttyS0,115200 only. I don't know what the 115200n8 is for or if it could even have an effect, but I'm going to change it in the .kiwi file to see if that is the place that is causing the trouble.

I'm out of the house today, without a CuBox, so I won't be able to test (well, I'm in the office in Nuremberg, where there are a couple of CuBox so if I get time, I may be able to test one).

Stay tuned! Check out some of the mail threads that have been generated around openSUSE on CuBox over on the opensuse-arm mailing list:

Keine Kommentare: